This Inverloch History montage of historical images was recently installed at the The Bendigo Bank in Williams St, Inverloch.
SUMMER AT THE BEACH, INVERLOCH, circa 1950
Many families had caravans or camped in their tents amongst the trees along the foreshore. The beach during summer has always been a very popular attraction for the whole family to enjoy.
A’BECKETT STREET, INVERLOCH, 1950’s
Yet another classic view of old Inverloch, in habited by some classic vehicles such as an original Holden, a Morris Oxford, a Ford Prefect and…well you guess and name them! We know it’s the 1950’s. The building on the left is the old Mechanics Institute, and to it’s right is a 1954-55 Ford Consul/Zephyr. The only two buldings that still exist are the hotel in its original form and Bill Ramsey’s “Premier Store” at the end of the street, in one of its many painted signs form.
LOOKING UP A’BECKETT STREET, INVERLOCH, 1962
From William “Bill” Jenner’s garage on the corner of William Street, not far from The Arcade of shops. Opposite is the re-built Esplanade Hotel, originally built about 1896. Further up is the General Store owned by Mr.Cross, and butchers owned by Mr.Banks next to the Community Centre built 1897. At the top of the street, Two Views Guest House, till 1952 but demolished in 1968.
ON THE DECK OF KETCH RIPPLE
This delightful photo with ladies and gentlemen dressed in all their Edwardian glory, is taken on the deck of the ketch Ripple, so famous to Inverloch’s history. The Edwardians were noted for their hats, and the people here do not disappoint.
OUTTRIM PRIVATE COAL MINE AND RAIL YARDS, 1895
Outtrim, and the area between Wonthaggi and Korumburra had many private coal mines. The rail line serviced these mines but never came as far as Inverloch.
TWO VIEWS GUEST HOUSE, INVERLOCH, circa 1925
The Two Views Guest house, situated on Sandy Mount Ave., at the top end of A’Beckett Street. Originally Neil’s Inverloch Hotel, was built in 1908, until de-licensed in 1922. It then became The Two Views Guest House. Was finally demolished in 1968.
NELSONS PALAIS CAFE AND TARAX BAR – INVERLOCH
Owned by Arthur (Sammy) Nelson and wife Myrtle and situated on The Esplanade near todays Inlet Hotel. You could purchase ice creams, Tarax drinks, and a pot of tea with jam and scones. Weddings, birthdays, and footy-final nights for Inverloch-Kongwak. The billiard table was very popular, many games of cards played infront of the living room fire.
LOADING COAL AT INVERLOCH PIER, 1910
This photo shows S.S. Manawatu, in days when coal was carted to Inverloch, loaded onto a boat, shipped to Melbourne. This prior to the rail from Nyora to Wonthaggi. Days of Inverloch being described by developers as the ‘Newcastle of the South’ never came to fulfillment.
KETCH RIPPLE ALONGSIDE INVERLOCH PEIR, 1890
The original image is from State Library Victoria, photographed by W.H.Ferguson on a half-plate glass negative. Ketch Ripple was the main supply line for the people of Inverloch and Tarwin Lower from Western Port Bay.
The images used here are from the selection of restored photographs available from InverlochHistory.com/Sales